It is National Chili and Caramel Month. Chili and caramel, you would typically not think of them together. You can enjoy a bowl of chili for dinner, followed by a delicious bowl of your favorite ice cream with a drizzle of warm caramel. A great gift idea to celebrate National Chili Month could consist of beautiful chili bowls and spoons, crackers, napkins, and fresh cheese. Another nice touch is to add your favorite chili recipe to share. For Caramel Month, ice cream bowls are always a big hit; add in an ice cream scoop, fun sprinkles, and a delicious jar of caramel sauce in a reusable jar. And again, you can always add in your favorite caramel recipe. Either of these would be fun to give to your family or friends.
Lisa’s White Chicken Chili Recipe
I love comfort foods at any time of the year, but those meals become even more special in fall. I love to entertain and cook for family and friends, and one of my favorites to prepare is white chicken chili. Below is my recipe for you to make for your family and friends this fall.
You Will Need:
2 tsp olive oil
2 medium onions, finely chopped
6 garlic cloves chopped (or 2 tbsp minced)
2 – 4oz cans chopped mild green chilies
2.5 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tsp cayenne pepper
5 – 16oz cans great northern beans (3 cans with juice and 2 cans drained)
6 cups chicken stock
4 cups cooked chicken (any parts you like)
3 cups grated Monterey jack cheese
2 cups sour cream (optional for serving)
- Heat olive oil on medium heat in a large pot
- Add onions and saute until translucent.
- Stir in minced garlic, chilies, cumin, oregano, and cayenne pepper and saute for approximant 2 minutes or so
- Add beans and chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, add chicken and cheese, stirring until cheese melts.
- Season with any spices you like (if you want to know…I use Jamison Chicken Base, pepper, and a little Slap Yo Mamma)
- Add Monterey jack cheese and a healthy dollop of sour cream. Enjoy!
Easy Caramel Sauce Recipe
I’m a firm believer that caramel makes everything taste delicious —apples, cake, ice cream, cookies, the list goes on. And you may not know, but it’s relatively simple to make. Here is a recipe for you to try yourself.
You Will Need
1 packed cup brown sugar
1/2 cup half-and-half
4 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Mix the brown sugar, half-and-half, butter and salt in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Cook while whisking gently for 5 to 7 minutes, until it gets thicker.
- Add the vanilla and cook another minute to thicken further.
- Turn off the heat, cool slightly and pour the sauce into a jar.
- Refrigerate until cold.